Every person has gambled at least once in his life, either with real money or other stakes, at different types of gambling games like blackjack, roulette, poker and sports betting. But the prospect of gambling professionally has always seemed daunting and a tad bit shady. So what does it take to get into this lucrative profession? It is quite easy to be a recreational gambler, but to take a step forward and let gambling be your only income is not a walk in the park. To get to the league of famous professional gamblers like the MIT Blackjack Team, it takes more than just luck.
Things to do
- A professional gambler must be disciplined and you must not gamble just for the sake of gambling.
- When gambling as a professional, you should never lose focus. Your mind must be on gambling only and your attention must not be diverted easily to other mundane things around him.
- You should always records your bets, and keep a track of what you’re doing.
- You must always keep your emotions in check. Gambling has its high points and low points. This sets you apart from hustlers, who often wear their emotions on their sleeve. You should enjoy gambling with a passion, but at the end, never forget that its about business.
- Learn to read people. Gambling is not just about numbers. The true art of gambling well comes in reading people, an occasional twitch, sigh or movement that will give them, away.
- Learn the math behind the game. If you can’t handle numbers, then gambling isn’t for you.
Things not to do
- Never bet even one pound more than you can afford to lose, because nothing is worse than going into debt.
- Don’t believe in superstitions. As a professional gambler, you shouldn’t rely on luck and chance to do anything for you. It isn’t about lucky dice, or a lucky day, its about how good you are at playing the numbers and playing the man betting against you.
- Don’t give up in the face of adversity. A professional gambler will have days when he’s cheated or when he loses terribly its all a part of the business. Pick yourself up, and continue to place bets.